Testing Cummins Diesel Engine L423D
Today I tested a Cummins engine. It is a four cylinder engine
labeled L423D P 50049F, serial number 0053124085. According to this page that I pulled off the net, this engine
is a 60 HP engine at 2600 RPM.
Upon inspection, the engine was found to have the following:
- Fuel pump
- Glow plugs
- Electric Injector fuel turn on valve
- Engine block heater 110VAC with regular household plug
- Splined shaft hole
- Oil Pressure Switch
- Overtemperature switch
- Governor that can either be preset for a given speed, or else controlled mechanically via a lever or whatever.
Based on my experience with my Onan DJE Diesel
Generator, I tried to start it as follows.
- Connected a battery negative to engine ground
- I energized the fuel valve via 12V
- Connected the starter to the battery
- Put water into radiator
- Cranked a little to get water into engine block
- Heated block with the heater (5 min)
- Warmed up the intake with glow plugs for 30 seconds (it was cold 35F weather) and energized the starter
That got the engine started. It purred for about a minute "hunting" for a good speed. Finally it settled at some idle speed and ran.
Note on videos
On the videos, for some reason, the sound "cuts out" at some point during the video. It is the fault of my camera, the engine does not stop when you stop hearing sound.
(Click on the thumbnail images to enlarge)